My husband and I are trying to eat more vegetarian meals for dinner, so when my mom e-mailed me this recipe, I decided to try it out with faux beef (I like the Morningstar meal starters, but we used a different one for this that was great and I can’ t remember exactly what the brand was). Being the awesome woman she is, my mom actually made this at our house while I got some stuff done that I needed to (having supportive family members is key in this new phase of life + baby). It is a very simple dish with few ingredients, but it really “works.” We served it over brown rice, but I think it’d be great with lentils, too.
Recipe Courtesy Of: pinky kookie (on food.com)
Recipe Located Online At: http://www.food.com/recipe/zucchini-and-ground-beef-casserole-461077
- 2 medium zucchini, fresh cut in 1/4-inch chunks
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 cup salsa, jarred with tomatoes, onions and chiles (we used pico de gallo I bought in the produce dept)
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
1) Brown ground beef with chopped onions, chopped garlic, salt and pepper.
2) Cook over medium heat for about 10 minutes or until meat is well cooked.