Yep, I’m still at it. The lemon blueberry combination has not gotten old. I made this recipe for a work picnic, and they were a hit. I will let you know in advance, these are more blueberry than lemon, though. I’d actually amp up the lemon flavor in them if I make them again for myself. If you have a crowd that prefers the blueberry to the citrus, then it is probably right up their ally. Personally, I love a good kick of citrus. I actually added lemon zest to the crust, which the recipe didn’t call for. It still didn’t come through enough for my liking if I’m expecting lemon. The crust is deliciously buttery, which always makes for a good bar. I found I needed to bake mine longer than the recipe called for, and the center kind of all melded together so it looked more like blueberry than sour cream/blueberry. That didn’t bother me at all, though. Also, it always seems like I don’t have as much crumble topping as the photo of the recipe I’m making. I think people are secretly using more than they’re telling me on their blogs. 😉
Recipe Located At: http://therecipecritic.com/2014/03/lemon-blueberry-sour-cream-crumb-bars/
- ½ c butter, melted and cooled to room temperature
- ½ c light brown sugar
- 1½ cup all purpose flour
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 2 cups fresh blueberries
- ¾ cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
- ½ c sour cream
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 1 Tbsp all purpose flour
- 1 egg
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 375 and prepare an 8×8 square pan by lining with parchment paper and spraying with cooking spray.
- Make the crust by whisking together in a medium bowl the flour, brown sugar, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Add the melted butter. The dough will be crumbly but make sure all of the butter is incorporated.
- Reserve ¾ cup of the crust and press the remaining into the bottom of your 8×8 prepared baking pan.
- Combine the fresh blueberries, sugar, cornstarch, and lemon juice in a small bowl until the combined and set aside.
- For the sour cream filling, mix together in a large bowl the sour cream, sugar, 1 Tbsp flour, egg, and vanilla. Pour over the crust in your 8×8 pan.
- Spoon the fresh blueberry mixture evenly over the sour cream.
- Sprinkle your reserved ¾ cup crust over the top and bake for 25-28 minutes or until golden brown. Cool completely and serve into squares. Store in the refrigerator up to 3 days.