These actually aren’t what I expected when I first read “chili cheeseburger.” There is no chili oozing out the sides of a super cheesy burger. Nope. Instead, it’s a burger flavored with many of the ingredients you’d use in chili, topped with a nice thick slice of sharp cheddar cheese, grilled onions, and sliced tomato. Less steps than making chili to put on your burger, healthier, and with huge flavor payoff. I used 92% lean beef for these and they were still oh-so-juicy. Cooking Light, you did not fail me with this one! As usual, my recipe had a few minor alterations. I did not have jalapeno peppers on hand, so I seeded some canned chipotle peppers and included those instead. It lended a nice spicy/smoky flavor to the burger. I also blended some with BBQ sauce and Greek yogurt to use as a topping to the burger instead of the usual ketchup/mayo/mustard. Good call. But you do with it what you will, as burgers are made to be modified to suit your tastes (and pantries)!
Recipe Located At: http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/mexican-chili-cheese-burgers-10000000226282/
- 1 pound ground round
- 1 cup chopped seeded plum tomato
- 1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons minced seeded jalapeño pepper (or 2 teaspoons minced seeded chipotle pepper)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Cooking spray
- 4 (3/4-ounce) slices reduced-fat Monterey Jack or cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup lowfat Greek yogurt (or lowfat sour cream)
- 1 tablespoon BBQ sauce
- 1 tablespoon pureed chipotle pepper
- 4 (1 1/2-ounce) hamburger buns
- 8 (1/4-inch-thick) slices tomato (optional)
- Grilled onions (optional)
- Iceberg lettuce leaves (optional)
- Combine first 9 ingredients in a bowl; stir well. Divide mixture into 4 equal portions, shaping into 1/2-inch-thick patties.
- Prepare grill. Place patties on grill rack coated with cooking spray; grill 6 minutes on each side or until done. Place 1 cheese slice on top of each patty; cover and grill an additional minute or until cheese melts.
- While burgers cook, mix Greek yogurt or lowfat sour cream with pureed chipotle pepper and BBQ sauce.
- Spread 1 tablespoon of yogurt mixture over top half of each bun, and set aside. Place patties on bottom halves of buns; top each with lettuce/ tomato/onions, (if desired), and top half of bun.